DIY Knockoff, How to make a Restoration Hardware coffee table Part 2

The DIY Restoration Hardware coffee table project is now finished! It’s a fairly simple DIY and will definitely get you the look for less. So here’s how to make a Restoration Hardware coffee table.  Part 1 is HERE.

welded coffee table frame

Part 1 is here. We used angle iron to create the base. It needs to be welded together, so you will need to find someone to do that for you. A friend maybe, or check a metal shop or a welding shop.

This project originally was intended to use pallet wood for the top, but after a lot of work creating that top, it just didn’t cut it. Despite all our efforts, the wood didn’t lay flat and the top looked too thin for the base.

pallet project1

Here’s the pallet wood laid out for the top. I loved the way it looked and was so disappointed that it didn’t work out,

2012_07_04_5784

We glued the pallet wood to a piece of plywood.

pallet table top

Next, we weighted it down while the glue dried.

pallet top plywood

This is the old piece of plywood we glued to the back. It fit inside the frame. I was planning on sanding it to make it look better. I didn’t get a picture of how this top looked on the base. Thumbs down  No good. Too thin, not flat, a total failure!   Failure #1.

boards coffee table top

Off to Lowe’s we went to get some new boards for the top. We used 2” x 6′” boards this time. We laid them side by side and used 3 pieces of 1” wood to fasten them together. You can see how those pieces fit inside the frame to keep the top from moving.

2012_07_06_5797

We used 3 pieces of 1” wood across the bottom and screwed them in place.

boards coffee table top 2

The top lays on top of the frame, it’s not fastened to the frame. The 1” boards fit inside the frame.

staining top

Now it was time to get to work on finishing the wood. I started by sanding, then stained the top with a gray stain. I used a practice board to get an idea of how the stain would look and ended up adding water to the water based stain to make it lighter.

When we took the top inside, it was way too dark! Failure #2. I ended up sanding, sanding and sanding off a lot of the stain to get the look I saw in my mind.

2family room coffee table. restoration hardware knockoff

Here it is all finished and in the family room!

3 family room coffee table. restoration hardware knockoff

Before I stained the top, I beat it up with a hammer and whatever I could find to add dings and scrapes in the wood.

4 family room coffee table. restoration hardware knockoff

I like it!

5 family room coffee table. restoration hardware knockoff

55 family room coffee table. restoration hardware knockoff

56 family room coffee table. restoration hardware knockoff

What do ya think? Here’s my DIY version.

coffee table. restoration hardware knockoff

Here’s the original.

restoration-hardware-coffee-table

It’s longer and looks lower but our DIY version costs MUCH less! Here’s the cost breakdown.

The original $1500-2000 depending on the size!

Our DIY version, angle iron $114.

welding, $80.

wood for top, $25

total  $219.00

$219.00 verses $1500.00

I’ll take the DIY version any day! Hope you like our version.

Added to Tutorials and Tip at Home Stories A to Z

Thanks for visiting! Debbie (((xx)))

Comments

1. That coffee table is awesome! You did a great job!

• shelly says:

I agree, it is AWESOME! and thank you for the post!

• Joel says:

If I were to go back to China you know what my real reason would be? piukmn yummy yum yum, good bubble tea, and juice lady! and fried banana and condensed milk. and random instrument sellers on the corner. oh yeah. and you.

Thanks for including all the fails. It makes it real! And it makes the result mean all that much more. It looks great.

3. Kelly says:

Wonderful!

4. Nana Diana says:

What a GREAT table and LOOK at how similar it looks to the $1500. one. Love it. Hope you are having a great evening- xo Diana
    Nana Diana recently posted..Coasters And CouponsMy Profile

5. Kim says:

Nice job and what a savings.
    Kim recently posted..Wow Us Wednesdays #74My Profile

6. joanne says:

very nice! I loke your taller version much better, much more suited for family living. Thanks for sharing the diy…;j

7. Kim says:

Debbie, I love it! I’m so loving Restoration Hardware right now. What I don’t like is their prices. What a great tutorial!!
    Kim recently posted..Bird on a Barbed WireMy Profile

8. Metal Sign says:

Wow, I am seriously impressed! I’m pretty sure mine would not turn out so well.

9. Marge Hess says:

Hi, Debbie

I love your blog and live in Hershey – I think you worked with my brother-in-law Eric.
    I was wondering if it’s ok if I re-pin some of your great Mt. Gretna pictures on Pineterest?

Marge

10. Whoa that turned out great!! Looks better higher than the PB one I think. What a great savings on the cost!
    Job well done.
    Kelly

11. Found you through A2Z ~ what a gorgeous table! I’ve been wanting to make one like this as well, thanks for the inspiration and the how to!!

12. Hi there! Stopping by from the Home Stories A to Z link party – I love your DIY version! It looks like a million bucks… great job!
    JenWoodhouse.com recently posted..Music Monday is back!My Profile

13. katherine says:

Came over from Knockoffdecor—your table is phenomenal. Great job!

14. Mindi says:

WOW, this looks faboulous. I do love the look you have given to the wood. How did you sand it to get it to look this way?

15. I am extremely impressed with your writing skills as well
    as with the layout on your weblog. Is this a paid theme or did you customize it
    yourself? Either way keep up the excellent quality writing,
    it is rare to see a nice blog like this one
    nowadays.
    http://gc7xsurge.com recently posted..http://gc7xsurge.comMy Profile

16. Looks great! I love the base, and you can’t beat the price!
    Emily Maldonado recently posted..Friday Favs 30My Profile

Trackbacks

1. [...] Restoration Hardware Inspired Table by Bungalow. This table is such a fabulous knock-off of the original. [...]