A sign made from pallet wood

One day when we were out and about for appointments, I saw this sign. Free pallets. Stop!  I couldn’t believe my luck, that I saw the sigh and we were in the truck! Now what to do with all that lovely wood? Pallet projects flooded my mind…you know how that is!

Here’s my first project, a pallet wood sign, but first prep the pallet safely!

2012_02_09_3687

We began with the pallet leaning against saw horses and a quick lesson on using the sawsall, to cut through the nails because removing them is almost impossible.

pallet cut page

We wore gloves, safety glasses and masks. Bill made the first cut as an example of how to do it correctly.

cutting a pallet2

His cut was so perfect because he’s, “an efficient machine.” He gloated. get over yourself already

pallet cut

No spiders were harmed in the making of this project.

My first time using the sawzall was not as perfect as his, but I got better with more practice. Pallet wood is pretty rough, so I sanded both sides then screwed them together using pieces from the bottom of the pallet.

tape back pallet

Because the screws were just a little too long and poked through the front, I covered them with duct tape to protect the wall and added wire for hanging.  I  Red heart duct tape.

pallet sign 1

Next, the lettering. I had no idea how I was going to do this, since I had a previous lettering project fail. After a little searching, I decided to print out the letters and rub a pencil over the back of each letter and then trace them onto the wood. This method is supposed to transfer the graphite from the pencil onto the wood. I should have printed out just the outline of each letter instead of using so much printer ink.

pallet sign 2

That didn’t work because the graphite was the same color of the wood. What worked was pressing the shape of the letters into the wood with a pen, like etching. I used a sharpie to fill in the letters.

2012_03_26_4160

After coloring in the letters, I decided to sand it a little more to make the letters a little less dark.

mantel

Here’s the finished sign.

a mantel center banner

I still have a bunch of pallets left, what would you make? I think I’m going to attempt some crates for magazines, pillows and stuff and I’d love to make a coffee table for the patio.

For more pallet ideas check out my Pinterest pallet board.

Skip To My Lou Home Stories A2Zmet monThe Southern Institute

Added to Best DIY projects at Beneath My Heart

Debbie (((xx)))

Comments

1. Jojo says:

My husband and I enjoyed this post (yes I made him read it)! What a terrific recycling job and a great sign.
    Jojo recently posted..Is It Easter Already?My Profile

2. Great job, Debbie! You and your “efficient machine” did a great job. : ) You could make a lot of things. I always thought to find a section of picket fence and use the pickets to be the pointers on an outdoor sign to towns or states. I may do a Christmas themed one for my daughter because we saw one we liked somewhere last year, but I wanted to do one for a few years at our old house. I had a great post with a bird house on top that would have worked well for that.
    Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions recently posted..Living Room Mantel PictureMy Profile

3. Nana Diana says:

Good day to you, too, Sunshine! Great project, Debbie. I think that is a hard wood to work with because it is so rough. You did a wonderful job. I love the finished sign. xo Diana
    Nana Diana recently posted..I Am HIGH ON LOWMy Profile

4. Jana says:

Great work~love your new sign. I also have a couple of pallets that I’ve been wondering what exactly I want to do with them. I’ve seen some amazing projects in the last couple of weeks.
    Oh, great deal on the “Free pallets” never come across that but would love to.
    Jana recently posted..Blueberry Cheesecake~yummy!My Profile

5. Lou Cinda says:

Love the sign Debbie! And look at you go with the sawsall! I am impressed! I tend to go all willy nilly when I am sawing anything….so far I have not lost an appendage….which is a good thing!

Can’t wait to see what else you create from these pallets!

Lou Cinda

You use electric saws and everything? Wow. My husband doesn’t trust me with the equipment and I don’t think that I trust myself either. Good for you. It came out great and there are so many things that you can say to make it all your own or all someone else’s own as I think these would make a special gift.
    Vee recently posted..Early Morning WalkMy Profile

7. Pam says:

Awesome sign. You could have harmed the spiders if you wanted to, they aren’t my favorite creatures :). I’ll go check out your Pinterest board on pallets now.

8. It looks great Debbie! Give me some free pallets with NO spiders please!
    Debbie
    Debbie refresh restyle recently posted..Sante Fe TurquoiseMy Profile

9. Very cute Debbie! Love it!
    xo-Lisa
    Lisa@budgetdesigngirl.blogspot.com recently posted..Spring Time Front Entry.My Profile

10. I have got to find a place that gives away pallets…lol!!! Loving all these great sign ideas! I don’t even know what a sawzall is….maybe we have one in the garage! Found you on the Haven list…can’t wait!!!

11. Cindy says:

Thanks for the great tips! I love the finished product!

12. Elizabeth H says:

I love it. I will be on the look out for free pallets.

13. Ashley C. says:

Very cute sign! I’m always looking for free pallets!
    Ashley C. recently posted..Vintage TargetMy Profile

14. Great job! Love that you showed some of your “bloopers” too. That’s how my projects always turn out, too!

15. Love it! I am a sucker for a good sign :0)

16. Thanks for great tips! I need all the help I can get! Lol
    Donna @ My Sweet Things recently posted..Stop to smell the flowers {Gibbs Gardens}My Profile

17. Brenda says:

Great idea!! I have been trying to come up with ideas because I know where I can get free pallets!!! You are a true blessing!!

18. Kelly says:

Can you share what font you used?

19. Jane Evans says:

Hi!

What is the size of your finished sign and what font did you use?

Thanks,
    Jane

20. Kathy Greear says:

Let me give you a little hint. For the lettering, remember dress “transfer paper” where you ran the wheel over colored waxy paper to show where to sew darts? Use that to transfer the lettering.I did it on pallet for art for my son’s house and it worked GREAT. I just traced over the lettering with a pen with the transfer paper between the lettering and the pallet. REALLY the BEST answer I have had to transferring.

21. Deb Keller says:

Hi Deb, just wondering what size and what fonts were used in these letters. it looks to be 3 different ones. love it by the way……

22. Amy says:

I have a stack of pallets I offered for free and only had 3 taken. Last week I asked my husband if we had a sawsall and we DO!!! I loved the final sanding – it gave the perfect finishing touch to your sign. I think I’m going to make signs for my garden. Thanks for the inspiration!
    Amy recently posted..This Little Light of MineMy Profile

23. Pearl says:

That is really cute, I wonder if carbon paper or something like that would work for transferring the writing? Thank you for sharing.

24. Shannon says:

Love it – you made it straight forward and easy to understand, but also very charming! I giggled when I saw the note about “no spiders were harmed”. Too funny!!! Good work sunshine!

25. Sharri says:

I use carbon paper when I make my pallet signs. I think I may try your idea just for the awesome indentation…

26. Teri says:

Hi I too would love to know how to do the font? Where do you get it and what size!
    Thanks so much!
    I’m going to try a head board!

27. thanks for sharing pallet sign.

Trackbacks

1. […] one…or two…or…. I bet you will feel the same way. Debra over at Bungalow has a fun project for us…one that you can make this weekend if you have some pallet wood!  […]