Red and green Christmas poke cake

Have you ever made a poke cake? Basically, you poke holes in a cake and pour jello over it. And it’s a cake mix, easy peasy, got to love that! This is a Christmas version in red and green.

2011_12_15_3222

Here’s the recipe from the jello web site. Their recipe uses Cool Whip for icing, but I like to frost this cake with 7 minute icing. It’s a cooked meringue-like icing that is so delicious!

qqq2011_12_15_3210

Seven minute icing

1 1/2 cups sugar
1/3 cup cold water
2 egg whites at room temperature
2 teaspoons light corn syrup, 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine in a double boiler, sugar, water, egg whites, and corn syrup. Beat with an electric mixer for 30 seconds. Place over boiling water. Do not let the top pan touch the boiling water. Cook and  beat, for  7 minutes, on high. Frosting should start forming peaks. Remove from heat and add the vanilla. Beat 2 more minutes.

ca22011_12_15_3217

Look at those luscious peaks! So good!

c12011_12_15_3210

It’s so festive looking, tastes great and would be a great addition to a dessert table.

Are you baking any goodies this year? Cookies?

Only 10 days til Christmas, Happy Holidays!

floral-white-and-brown-free-scrapbook-paper-4Inspiration Friday Graphic-1Potpourri Party

Debbie (((xx)))

Comments

1. Debbiedoo's blogging and blabbing says:

What a pretty looking cake…jello hmmmm…I have to try this out!

2. NanaDiana says:

Debbie- I made this for years and years for our family. I haven't made one in a few years-maybe it's time to do it again. Thanks! xo Diana

We love these kinds of cakes around here. I make the old Dream Whip/Vanilla Intant Pudding frosting. Your frosting looks especially yummo!

4. Justabeachkat says:

Since my oven is "sick" and the part won't be back until after Christmas (!), I made 2 kinds of fudge and 2 kinds of candy this year. Your cake looks delish.

Big Christmas hugs,
    Kat

5. TheChangingHouse says:

That frosting looks great! I can't wait to try it!

6. Coastal Cottage Dreams says:

Never heard of this cake, looks festive! Yes – I am about to make some molasses cookies right now!

I just came across your blog and am one of your new followers. I hope you visit my blog and follow me if you wish.

Happy Holidays!

7. Honey at 2805 says:

Thank you for sharing the season in such a sweet way at Potpourri Friday! May you have a Merry Christmas and the Happiest of Holidays!