How I created this year’s mantle/Christmas crafts

Let’s start with the focal point, the center frame of the mantle.
A piece of plywood I found in the basement fit perfectly in the frame, I didn’t even need to cut it. I used Mod Podge to glue on hymnal pages, then put a thin coat of Mod Podge on top and allowed it dry to over night.full2011_12_10_3120

hn2011_12_11_3168
The letters came from Michael’s and were spray painted white, then outlined with a little dark brown paint. I added some Martha Stewart glue and glitter. Next I glued the letters onto the center of the hymnal pages.
qq2011_12_12_3179

Next project, the white rose tree. I will not roll a felt flower again for a long, long time. I’m estimating I rolled about 200 for this project!
Beth from Home Stories A 2 Z has about the best tutorial for creating rolled felt flowers HERE.
rose tree
I created a cone from an old yardsale sign I found in the garage. The cone got covered with a piece of scrap white fabric, because I didn’t want any  brown cone to show. Then I started creating roses from felt squares, gluing larger roses on the bottom and gradually becoming smaller toward the top. When I was finally finished I rejoiced!
twigtree
The twig tree was a quick project. Again, I created a cone, this time from a cereal box, and glued on twigs of different lengths, adding pieces to fill in empty spots. Spray paint and that’s it’s!
I think these twig trees would look great left natural too, on a piece of a wide branch for a base.
pc2011_12_10_3134
And last, the glittered pinecones I dried and created HERE.
Holiday craft link party at Centsational Girl.
Today’s creative blog, get your craft on.
Coastal Charm, Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Seeing the Christmas décor at linky parties all over blogland is fun. It’s like peeking into other peoples homes and it helps get you in the Christmas mood. Well, it does me anyhow.
I received so many wonderful comments about the mantle this year. Thank You all so much! Big hug and kiss!
Next, I’ll be sharing the front porch.
Debbie (((xx)))

Comments

1. Hi, I'm Laura Ingalls Gunn says:

Wow! You are a Christmas crafting genius! So glad I found your project via Centsational Girl.

Please stop by for a visit to my blog. I am currently in the midst of a Gifts to Make series.

Be Merry and Bright!

2. Justabeachkat says:

Sounds like a LOT of work, especially the felt rose tree, but it really shows well. Good job!

Merry Christmas hugs,
    Kat

3. Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions says:

I was looking at letters at Hobby Lobby yesterday trying to think up a project for them. I love the ones you used for your frame. I love the felt roses tree, but I can imagine that it took a lot of rolling felt. You have more patience than me, Debbie! : )

The post office told me you should have your package by Wednesday. It's a fairly big box, just so you know!

4. Ruth says:

Your mantle looks lovely. The sign is gorgeous. I am using the same color scheme this year.
    Ruth

5. moonsword says:

ohgoodgolly, just gorgeous! Really, I think this is magazine-cover-worthy!
    Your rose tree may have been a boatload of work but it's fabulous…totally worth it, especially if you can reuse it for years to come. All of the elements, the color scheme, the composition…just beautiful. Thanks for sharing it.
    I'm new to your blog so I'm off to explore more. Arrived via TCB…Cheers!

6. Lori says:

I'm envious…this is too beautiful! I'm a new happy follower. Stop by and visit and enter to win my Heirloom ornament made from vintage jewelry…only 1 day left to enter. Warm wishes

7. Linda@Coastal Charm says:

Debbie,
    Thank you for sharing with us how you made this stunning mantel…come by today and share it with all of us at my NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAY PARTY. Oh I can't wait to get my book:)

Blessings,
    Linda

8. Eileen says:

It's beautiful – just stunning. You're very talented.

9. Susan S. says:

SO Pretty….Love all you white decorations. Especially love the white rose tree! Merry CHRISTmas Ya'll from Houston, TX