Beef up a BookCase

Here’s a bad shot of a bookcase that I had for years in our basement family room . I bought it unfinished and put a white stain on it and later painted it black. I’ve been wanting to beef it up with molding for ages and finally got it done!

2010_09_25_0563

When I took this picture I was in the process of painting the room so that’s why the furniture is all pushed together.

The original back was paper thin and I replaced it with beadboard that I stained. That alone was a big improvement.

112

Next I added some trim and crown molding. Please ignore the nail holes that weren’t filled in. Smile

113

It’s so hard to get decent pictures in the basement.

123

As you can see it holds mostly photos and not many books. It’s not the best arrangement of photos, but I’ll keep working on it!

Beefing up a bookcase is fairly easy with the right tools and it sure makes a big impact. I didn’t go overboard on the molding, but I could have added more on the sides and bottom. I’m just happy to get this much done!

Now, a few questions for you……

How and where do you display family photos, do you display them only in non public rooms, like bedrooms?

Did you beefed up a bookcase? How?

Added to Met Monday at Between naps on the Porch.

The DIY Showoff

Debbie (((xx)))

Comments

1. Wanda @ Just Vintage says:

That looks great! And I'm so impressed you did it yourself! I have a problem figuring out what to do with family photos, too. A friend of mine will just scatter them throughout the house, like a picture on the kitchen counter, one on an end table, that kind of thing. I don't quite have her knack.

2. Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions says:

It looks so good, Debra! Bookcases can be hard. I just worked with a client to do her bookcases. I was going to share it on my blog, but the changes are so subtle to me {although the client just loved the difference} that it didn't seem worth posting about. Let me know if you're interested in any suggestions! : )

I have family pictures scattered throughout my house. I like to be able to see them when I'm in those rooms.

3. Gloria (The Little Red House with the White Porch) says:

Wow, great job! One word says it all: GORGEOUS!
    Best,
    Gloria

4. Sue says:

A little bit of trim to beef up a piece of furniture is sometimes all it takes to transform a lackluster piece into one that says, "I look good now!" Nice job making your bookcase a show stopper.
    I use personal/family photos only in the rooms that are used primarily by me- the study and the bedroom. It's just what works for me and my decor. For me, I go for a more stylized look in the public "decorated" rooms and don't feel that the photos work there. I've used them in clients' homes, however. I think it's up to the individual. :-)
    ~ Sue

5. Terry says:

Hubby did a bookcase years ago that I love. Yours gave it so much more personality don't you think? I display family photos everywhere in my home. I live here so why not? If it was for sale I would take the down but it's not, so display away!

6. Kathleen Ellis says:

You did a great job "beefing" up, Debbie! Your bookcase looks sooooo much better! It reminded me that I have some bookcases that could benefit big time from a bit of "beefing" up!
    Thanks for sharing & inspiring!
    Have a beautiful week~
    ;-D Kathleen

7. Annie says:

I have family photos displayed in a hallway and in my bedroom, but not in the living room. Your bookcase makeover looks good!

8. Dee says:

Your bookcase looks like a high end piece now.

Dee

9. Terrific post however , I was wanting to
    know if you could write a litte more on this topic?
    I’d be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit further.
    Appreciate it!
    Jerusalem forever recently posted..Jerusalem foreverMy Profile

10. I read this paragraph completely about the resemblance of most up-to-date and preceding technologies, it’s remarkable article.
    Breadportal.com recently posted..Breadportal.comMy Profile