~Take a Tour of the new Island~

Oh My Gosh, it’s finally done and I’m lovin it!

Here’s the front view all dressed up with a whole new color and shapely legs. Oh la la!
Corbels were added at this end along with legs, trim and beadboard. The white tureens really pop now against the red. So purdy!

I love this end and can’t stop looking at it!

I’m extremely happy with the end result. It’s so different and makes a bold statement now after the plain white. It looks like a piece of furniture.

Believe it or not…..the trim work was done by me and an old miter box. There’s still some touch up painting to do, maybe a little sanding too, so don’t look too closely…..it’s definitely not perfect, but that’s ok. “It doesn’t need to be perfect to be beautiful.” from the Nester.

Yes, I do paint outlets. A white outlet would stand out so much and every time I saw it I’d cringe, so I just painted it!

I’m going to add these brackets soon, just had to make sure Bill wouldn’t bump his knees when he sat here or I’d never hear the end of it! You know!

My H, Bill cut the trim for the plain end and helped me with some nails, other than that I did it all. Isn’t it amazing what a determined gal can do!?

After I live with it a while I’ll decide if I want to glaze it. What do you think, glaze or not?

The yardsale chandelier is hung in it’s new home and it’s lookin good. That thing was a bear! I had to rewire the whole thing! More about that later and one more post coming about how the island got transformed.
So far I’ve done carpentry and electrical work, just try, you’ll be amazed at what YOU can do! DIY is so much cheaper too and I really like that.

Added to Funky Junk Saturday Nite special

This post is being added to MET MONDAY at, Betweewn Naps on the Porch. See more makeovers there!

Comments

1. Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality says:

Debra, saw your tweet!! Oh, girl…it looks amazing, I just love everything about it. You did a fantastic job, love the beadboard, corbels & esp. those cute feet. Way to go! Yes, we older gals can be very determined when it comes to getting something done. I know what you mean about grumpy hubbies. I'd rather do it myself too. I just love what you did.

I'm working on a little beadboard project in my kitchen too.

2. 9405018--Pat says:

OMG! this is amazing…great job….Pat H

3. Wanita says:

Debra, the island looks beautiful. I love the color and all the accessories. You did a great job!

Blessings,
    Wanita

4. Gypsy aka Tam says:

Debra,
    I LOVE it!!! You did an amazing job!!! I love the color and all the deatils you added. How I wish I had room for an island *sigh*
    Tam

5. martha says:

Woooowza! You did a great job. Congratulations. I think you may have inspired me to tackle mine. Is the sanding/priming part hard? I’ve painted a good bit, but never something so heavily used….

6. Anonymous says:

Debra it looks FANTASTIC….you should be so proud you did an amazing job !! When we did our kitchen we added feet too, I wanted it to look like furniture, and beadboard in a kitchen is something we love too….

I have a very handy hubby but I've been known to get down & dirty when things don't get rolling as quickly as I'd like lol

Pretty tulips and are those new coverings for your stools ??

Nice job,
    Kathy :)

7. Sue says:

I am impressed. It is beautiful and you are right, that white stoneware really does pop! You also picked my favorite color- red!!!

8. The Bramble Patch says:

Absolutely love it Debra! You are the woman! Your accessories are perfect!

Hugs,

Vanessa

9. Nancy says:

Debra, It is beautiful! You did a fabulous job! You should be so proud! Nancy

10. Handmade Housewife... says:

It’s absolutely stunning! I saw recently on an HGTV show where they took 2 antique dressers back to back and made a center island. I like yours so much better with the open shelving on the end. I think I’d have to pour a big cup of coffee and park myself in front of those beautiful white pieces. I’m putting this in my “definately have to do” file. Great job!

-Hayley

11. Heather says:

wow wee wow! that is gorgeous. i love the make over! the open shelves on the end are gorgeous!

12. Stacey says:

Debra, you island looks amazing! I love the color, corbels, the granite, and the proud rooster sitting there. I’m also loving the look of that chair skirt right next to the red island. Way to go girl!

13. DebraK from ~the Bunnies Bungalow~ says:

Reply to Martha since I couldn’t access your blog,
    The sanding and priming isn’t hard at all. I sanded just slightly to remove some of the shine so the primer would grab. After it’s primed, the paint goes on nicely.
    Happy to have inspired you!

To anon, Kathy,
    No they are the same chair pads I had. I made them from yardsale seat cushions…just recovered them.

Thanks for all the nice comments! I’m glad you like it

14. tardevil says:

That looks great! I especially like all the trimwork. I laughed when I saw the rooster b/c my husband brought me home one exactly like that one. Mine has some chips though. I’m thinking about putting it outside. It looked vintage to me, but I wasn’t sure. Regarding glaze, I would add it only b/c it would be a protective coating, kind of like varnish. Love the granite – it all looks great!

15. Terri and Bob says:

I am so impressed! It looks amazing. The trim work gives it charm and character. I think it is fabulous!

16. Susan S. says:

It’s beautiful and YOU are AMAZING! Too cool about cutting the trim…you rock! I think the red color came out beautifully and agree that the white pottery POPS!

Since you asked…..I think a glaze would look really nice on it but you’ve worked really hard…give yourself a break and live with it for a while. You can always do that later. It IS beautiful just the way it is. :)

17. Elenka says:

Absolutely stunning. You have done an amazing job. I, too, love the corbels. Thanks for sharing!

18. Meggie says:

Very nice, DebraK! I’m so impressed but I knew you could do it.

19. Cathy says:

Debra you did a fabulous job! Love it!

20. An Accomplished Woman says:

Debra,

Your island looks fantastic. Love it and you are so talented.

I might have to take on my island. Thanks for sharing.

Cynthia

21. justabeachkat says:

Oh.My.Word! It looks amazing! Great job.

You go girl!

Hugs!
    Kat

22. Susan says:

Wow, Debra…your island looks wonderful! You are so talented!
    Hugs, Susan

23. Lisa ~ A Cottage to Me says:

SNAPS for Debra!!! Wow, wow, wow! I am so impressed with your skills! Wonderful job!

24. Dawnie says:

Very beautiful home you have. Your work is amazing! Brave lady…I’m not so sure I could accomplish some of your feats.

25. Lou Cinda says:

Debra: This is STUNNING! I just love it! Love the red, love the granite, love the corbels, love the rooster!! You did an amazing job on this! Thanks for sharing!

Lou Cinda :)

26. Kimm at Reinvented says:

Oh, wow, I LOVE it! The color is amazing and with the white dishes… PERFECTION.
    I think if you decide to glaze it that would be beautiful too, but I love it the way it is!
    thanks for stopping by my blog, come back soon!

27. Anonymous says:

Hi,

I came back for another peek, it is so pretty and NO I think you should leave it just as it is no glaze

28. SILVIA says:

HI I JUST FOUND YOU!.
    IT JUST GORGEOUS, LOVE THE COLOR, ALL CORBELS AND I LOVE THE GRANITE IS BEAUTIFUL.GREAT JOB…THANKS..SILVIA..

29. Happy @ Home says:

Wow, I’m impressed. It looks great and the rooster on top really pulls it all together. Great Job!!

30. Picket says:

Love that island!!!! The color os perfect and that little shelving on the end is so pretty with your white treasures….great job..looks like a custom piece of furniture!

31. Julie says:

That is stunning! What a wonderful idea and perfect color.

32. Alisa Lucas-Brown says:

Hi Debra,
    There must be something in the air! I’ve got a bee in my bonnet about an island re-do after seeing Pat from Back Porch Musings re-do hers. Now you have gone and transformed your island into a lovely vision of red. I just love it! I also love everything that you have done in your kitchen to transform it. I can’t wait to see your next post on the island and then to see where you’ve hung that “chandy”. See ya soon.
    Alisa

33. Lori says:

Debra, WOW looks straight out of a high end decorating magazine!! Beautiful job, you little carpenter you! Love,Lori

34. Sherri S says:

Awesome, awesome, awesome! Great job.

35. Kathleen Ellis says:

Beautiful kitchen update, Debra!
    Thanks so much for stopping by and introducing yourself!
    Have a fabulous weekend!
    ;-D

36. Kristi says:

Oh my GOSH Debra, it looks AMAZING!!!!! I love it red and love all the details you added! I also love your chairpads/skirts on your stools! I have a few chairpads from a yardsale I bought for a project like this!! you are motivating me to PRACTICE my sewing!! I also now want to paint my island!!!!! I can’t wait to see your chandy! :)

37. the pleasures of homemaking says:

It looks gorgeous! I love the white tureens against the color of the island and the corbels too!

You did a beautiful job on that! I usually try to wait for my husband to do the more carpentry type things but he’s been so busy this past year that I’m begining to think that I better learn how to do some of these things myself or they’ll never get done!

Manuela

38. Pat@Back Porch Musings says:

Debra this is absolutely gorgeous! Great work!!

39. Catherine says:

Wow! I love it, Love the corbels, & the color! And it didn't cost alot, yet what a big diffrence…spring is coming,& you have got my mind spinning~so ready for some changes!:)
    It is amazing what you can do if you try..isn't it!!:D
    Have a great day!
    Enjoy your "new" looking Island!
    Cat

40. Cote de Texas says:

unreal!!! love the shelves with the ironstone – just gorgeous! i’d be staring at it all day too! great job.
    JOni

41. "Blossom" says:

What an awesome job you did Debra.
    Yelp, I need these kind of jobs so hubby doesn’t get involved. But I start and he wants to advise and tell me how to do it.

42. Cass says:

Wow! Pat yourself on the back, my girl — you did amazing work! The island is gorgeous — color, style, everything. And how wonderful that you did it yourself. (the paint job looks great to me!)
    Cass

43. Chandy says:

Great job on that project! It looks so much beter! Wow!

Happy Monday!

44. ceekay says:

Love it…I just think your white tureens look great against the red and the black knobs….just fantastic!

45. bj says:

Oh, Debra…this is just breathtaking…just BEAUTIFUL. You did a magnificent job..not sure about the glaze…some I like, some I don’t. I know whatever you do, it will be beautiful…

46. Cathy says:

Love your island…the color is amazing!!! You have done a wonderful job!!!

This is my first time visiting and I love the name of your blog…I love bunnies!!!

I will be back…can’t wait to see more!!!

Have a wonderful day!!!
    XOXO
    Cathy

47. Nicole @ BugaBoos says:

Love it and love the red! It really looks awesome!

48. Elizabeth (blue clear sky) says:

Wow, you did an amazing job. From the beadboard to the trim, corbels, and feet… Everything looks perfect (even if we tend to be picky when it is our own.) i have a kitchen peninsula/high breakfast counter that has been waiting for me to get busy. Your post is helping me to build the courage. Thanks

49. The DIY Show Off says:

Amazing! It's gorgeous! You did a fantastic job!

50. Magic Brush says:

It is soooooo fantastic!!!!! I absolutely love it. I glaze everything… so I would try a spot and see if you like it. But it's gorgeous as is!!! Great job!

51. linda says:

The red is so beautiful. I am wanting to paint a large cabinet red, but I am just a little afraid because it is so bold. On the other hand, that's the fun part of it. Can you tell me what color and manufacturer you used for the red paint?

52. Erin@likegrandmas says:

Love your island and style. I decided to follow and ironically, came back to the page to see your Alzheimer's Journey button. I will read that as I am affected by it(grandma). Love those stools too!

53. Jane says:

This is wonderful! Had wheels put on my island & after looking at your pics decided to paint it. . Just painted the utility room Yarmouth Blue & I'm thinking the island would look great the same color.