It would have been so much easier if I wouldn’t have kept changing my mind. But, sometimes it’s just so darn hard to make up your mind.
I wish I could say that this project went perfectly and smoothly, but does a project ever go that way? NO, especially when you’re learning as you go. The beadboard was not in the original plan. I was going to use trim to create boxes on the side and back….you know like wainscoting…..but just kept thinking ..no….not sure if I like that, so beadboard it was! This was after I had already primed the whole island. Lowe’s cut a sheet of beadboard for me so it was easy to install…..Liquid Nails = a good thing. Next I primed and painted the beadboard.
I used an old miter box for this trim…..it’s not bad for a beginner. If you look real close you’ll see the bottom piece is upside down…..oops! In not buying more trim just for that, no one will notice anyway….I hope.
The legs were just a hair too high. I tried sanding them but that would have taken too long, so I cut them with Bill’s compound miter saw. Power tools are a gal’s friend! I just need to learn how to use them….. Safely.
There it is, the saga of how the island was “pimped.” In one of the pics you’ll see an old pitcher. I used that to mix the paint to get the color I wanted. I used the paint from the DR but wanted it to be more orange and less purple. I added some yellow, white and orange craft paint to tweak the color.
Here’s the cost breakdown,
- paint, primer, nails, sandpaper, $0
- beadboard, $19.00
- legs, $22.00
- poplar boards $15.00
- corbels, $15.00
- liquid nails, caulk, $9.00
- trim, $6.00
Total, just $86.00! Not bad for a whole new look.
Nest post will be the yardsale chandelier, and there’s a giveaway coming next week so stay tuned!