~How the island was transformed~

It would have been so much easier if I wouldn’t have kept changing my mind. But, sometimes it’s just so darn hard to make up your mind.
I wish I could say that this project went perfectly and smoothly, but does a project ever go that way? NO, especially when you’re learning as you go. The beadboard was not in the original plan. I was going to use trim to create boxes on the side and back….you know like wainscoting…..but just kept thinking ..no….not sure if I like that, so beadboard it was! This was after I had already primed the whole island. Lowe’s cut a sheet of beadboard for me so it was easy to install…..Liquid Nails = a good thing. Next I primed and painted the beadboard.

The trim on this end is plain poplar boards. Bill didn’t like that at ALL. He wanted to use proper mouldings. I won that one and I’m happy with the way it looks.

The back and side look like this all trimmed out.

Remember I said I kept changing my mind? Well, beadboard was added to the shelf end too when I realized there was enough. Should have painted it first, it would’ve been much easier. Learn by doing!

I used an old miter box for this trim…..it’s not bad for a beginner. If you look real close you’ll see the bottom piece is upside down…..oops! In not buying more trim just for that, no one will notice anyway….I hope.

Now onto the corbels…..the white piece in the photo above is a piece that I cut off to make it fit. A handy little Dremel tool did the trick. You can see why I had to cut it in the bottom photo.

The legs were just a hair too high. I tried sanding them but that would have taken too long, so I cut them with Bill’s compound miter saw. Power tools are a gal’s friend! I just need to learn how to use them….. Safely.
There it is, the saga of how the island was “pimped.” In one of the pics you’ll see an old pitcher. I used that to mix the paint to get the color I wanted. I used the paint from the DR but wanted it to be more orange and less purple. I added some yellow, white and orange craft paint to tweak the color.

Here’s the cost breakdown,

• paint, primer, nails, sandpaper, $0
  • beadboard, $19.00
  • legs, $22.00
  • poplar boards $15.00
  • corbels, $15.00
  • liquid nails, caulk, $9.00
  • trim, $6.00

Total, just $86.00! Not bad for a whole new look.

Nest post will be the yardsale chandelier, and there’s a giveaway coming next week so stay tuned!

Comments

1. Heather says:

very very nice! you did such a great job.

2. Jill says:

I LOVE & ADORE your new island. You did such a fantastic job. That red is just a super color!

I have enjoyed reading some of your previous posts…that little Biscotti jar has a twin at my house!

~Jill

3. Mrs. Rabe says:

I love it! It would look perfect in my kitchen, so if you ever get tired of it….:)

Thank you for your visit to my blog and your kind words. I would be honored to be on your blog roll and I would be delighted to return the favor!

I have spent a wee bit of time here at your blog this afternoon, but I can tell I am going to have to spend alot more catching up on all your posts!

Have a great weekend – can’t wait to see the chandelier!

4. Sue says:

Gotta tell you again- it is gorgeous and I am SO impressed that you did it yourself!

5. Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe says:

What a great job you have done! The color is perfect.
    I wouldn’t know where to even start.

6. Elenka says:

YOU are starting to inspire me!! I don’t know what to do, but I want to transform something.
    Pardon me while I go looking around the house.

7. Jen r. says:

Debra, I love it! It looks fantastic! I hope you are going to join in on the party with this on the 25th~! I know people would love to see it! Jen

8. Kristi says:

WOW liquid nails is STRONG! Thanks for the DIY instruction! I have been afraid to use a mitre box but maybe I will now! :)
    Kristi

9. Anonymous says:

Debra you cracked me, I never would have seen the upside down trim….and still don’t !!!

I LOVE that you use Bill’s power tools, my hubby has them all too but I only hold the wood for him LOL I just may give it a GO !!!

Have a great week-end and thanks again for showing us the HOW TO..

See you next week…..

All the best,
    Kathy :)

10. Anonymous says:

I forgot the up in “you cracked me up” LOL I should read first before I hit PUBLISH

Kathy :)

11. Pam says:

I followed the link and saw the finished island. Girl-you’re good! I have the garnet reds and warm golds throughout my home, so I’m really in love with the color of your island and some of the dishes I saw in your cabinet!

12. Lisa says:

Gosh!! I cannot tell you how much of love this redo. You did a fantastic job. You are right it looks completely new!! How exciting to spend less than $100 on top of all that. Great job!!

I doff my cap to you, Debra! You did an amazing job. I’m sure that I would have similar conversations with my beloved about what would be “proper.” Glad that it all turned out so beautifully and inexpensively. Just fantastic!

14. Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality says:

Wonderful job, Debra! I know just what you mean about projects not all going smoothly. I can vouch for that one, LOL. But, we persevere & do what we have to do to get 'er done, don't we?! I just LOVE how your island turned out.

15. Andrea @ Big Creek Cottage says:

OMG…cherry from Cherry’s jubilee sent me your way…I am getting ready to redo my island…with beadboard…and I want my dh to build shelves on one end for my books! Wow! You did fantastic and love your pictures….I am wondering where did you find the corbels? I have been looking. Great project. Thanks for sharing!

16. Chris says:

Wow! I just can't get over how great it looks and that you did it on your own! I have an island in desperate need of "pimping", but I'm so nervous! Yours is awesome!

17. jeanne @ Inspiring Ideas says:

Beautiful! I'm sure you'll be able to appreciate all the effort for a long time!

18. The DIY Show Off says:

Gorgeous! I love the transformation! :)

19. Gwen says:

Loving the color!! The whole transformation is stunning:)

20. Pamela says:

Just found your blog and love your DIY projects! I added your button to my blog!

21. judy says:

Hi! I just found your blog and your my idol! I just also finished an island with beadboard and I am afraid to paint my cabinets, which look like the same color your are. How did you prepare them for paint?

Judy

22. Kara@ Creations by Kara says:

That is simply stunning! Totally love it, thanks for sharing the tips!

23. Karyn says:

Genius!

24. Room to Inspire says:

Wow, great job. I have been wanting to dive into this project…I am feeling inspired! Thanks for the step by step.

Chelsea

25. Karyn says:

Do you mind me asking what paint color you used on the island ? I am getting ready to paint mine and reds are so hard to pick. Thanks! You did a beautiful job on this project!

26. Ellie says:

Love the red and all of the detail you added! Great work.

27. Funky Junk Interiors says:

Totally stunning details! I adore the deeper red you chose. It's so spunky! Makes me wanna eat a ripe apple. You did a wonderful job with fitting all those puzzle pieces together. Wow.

Donna

28. Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal says:

Wonderful! I love it in the red. It just makes you whole kitchen happy looking!