~Little family cookout~

Here are some shots from our Labor Day cookout. MOM…….she’ll be 78 on Wednesday.
Me & Mom.
My MIL Catherine, soon to be 91. She looks fantastic!
Me & Catherine. This pic was so dark & I tried to lighten it up but it looks better in black/white.
It was a simple cookout, burgers & dogs, Catherine made macaroni salad. She is still a great cook! H’s daughter made beans that were really good. We had bread & butter pickles, tomatoes of course and a chocolate cake from Walmart for dessert.

The kids loved the chocolate cake!

Here’s g’pa & the kids playing battleship. Notice Sam’s wings, she was a fairy!

That’s our little Labor Day cookout. I felt good about getting Mom out, but it takes a lot out of me as she can hardly walk now & needs help eating. She still has a quick wit and always has a snappy reply, but says the same things again & again. Each time I must act as if it’s the first time I heard it. God, please bless my dear Mama.

Blessings!

Comments

1. Rosemary says:

What a great family you have.
    I can’t believe that your MIL will be 91??? She doesn’t look like it at all. AMAZING!! I’m sure it was nice for your mom to be at your BBQ. What fun for both of you.
    Love the fairy wings, so cute.
    Thanks for sharing your day with us.
    Rosemary

2. Michelle says:

Looks like all of you enjoyed a very nice time! How wonderful that both your mom & mother-in-law were able to be there, too – that’s a real blessing.

I LOVE your new autumn look!

Have a great day :)

3. Sandy McTier says:

WOW! Beautiful family ~ 91 ~ that is incredible too!
    LOVE the new “AUTUMN” look of your blog. I’m so ready for Fall to be here and this heat to go away.
    Have a wonderful week.
    Blessings,
    Sandy :)

4. PAT says:

Hi Debra, it looks like you had a wonderful Labor Day.
    It’s so good your mom got to spend the day with you all too.

My Aunt Helen, is the same way. Wonderful wit, but repeats the story. I don’t mind a bit hearing it again. She was my life saver many times, when I was growing up.

My package arrived today. I am so tickled! The tablecloth is beautiful. Thank you too for the sweet note.

Pat

5. LivingTheLife says:

Debra…how wonderful your family was able to be together to celebrate the holiday…I will keep your mom and you in my prayers…I’ve not had many first hand dealings w/alzheimers…but I have friends that are affected by it in their families…I know it is so trying and difficult…it is so good that she was able to get out and spend time with you, though…I love the little house out back…is that a play house, a potting shed, or simply a storage area…whatever, it is I LOVE IT!! So fun…

Your little angle with her wings IS precious…

By the way…your new Autumn look has me wanting to get geared up for fall…I loved it!!

Blessings…
    “T”

6. justabeachkat says:

Debra

I loved the photos and you looked wonderful…I don’t know what you mean about your makeup and hair.

I noticed your new autumn look right away and LOVE it!! Very nice.

My grandmother had Alzheimer’s so I know all about what you’re dealing with. It’s not easy. At all. You are so sweet with her though. Your MIL sure doesn’t look 91!

Hugs!
    Kat

7. Linda says:

Looks like a great time was had by everyone. I can’t believe your mil is 91 she looks great.
    Blessings

8. Miss Janice says:

It’s wonderful to spend holidays with family. I absolutely love your autumn look!
    Have a wonderful day:-)
    Miss Janice

9. Lori says:

Debra, cherish your time with Mom. I remember how hard the last year was with my Mom taking her places, but I know she loved every minute! I miss her so. You’ve a lovely family, bless you for your compassion! Love, Lori

10. Mary says:

So glad you had a great day and both moms were able to share with you Mary

11. the feathered nest says:

I love your new fall banner! Wow your MIL looks great at 91. It’s lovely that your family could be together to enjoy this holiday!
    Manuela

12. joan says:

Looks like a great picnic! And I love your new banner. How do you do that? My son helped me with what I have on mine but I can’t remember what he did. Yours looks great!!

13. Alison Gibbs says:

Looks like you had a great weekend. Alzheimers is a sad disease. Maybe sadder for those watching it happen. we don’t really know what it is like for the sufferer of the disease. Take care and love to your Mum. Sadly I lost my Mum when she was only 66. Sometimes life’s not fair.
    Alison

14. Julie says:

I LOVE your new blog header!!!! I never thought of combining bunnies with fall colors. It looks amazing!

15. Susie Q says:

Such a sweet family gathering…always the best! I am so happy that your Mom could be there with you. Such a pretty lady. And your MIL surely does not look 91! Lovely!

The fairy wings are so adorable! As are the kids of course!

I was blown away with your new look! The banner is glorious!!

Love it all.

Hugs,
    Sue

16. Marilyn says:

It’s so nice to have family get togethers. Your family is just lovely. Your Mom looks like she was happy and having a good time. I know how difficult it can be and you’re in my prayers. Your mil looks great for 91! My grandma was still cooking, crocheting and sewing at 95. I hope I have that kind of stamina.

17. Inspired Tokens says:

What a wonderful labor day you had! All of your pics are really nice, (and no…I don’t think you need a haircut I wish my hair looked that great). Love the new look and autumn feel, I’m anxiously awaiting cooler weather. Thanks for sharing your happy day with us!

18. Kari says:

Looks like you had a wonderful get together! The time with your mom must be bittersweet, huh? It’s frightening to see your parent fade like that. They’re the ones you’ve always looked up to. It’s difficult to switch places with them. I feel for you. Glad you had a good time, though! (And yes, I love the Autumn look!)

19. martha says:

You end your post by asking God to bless your mama. He has! With YOU! I know you have been a deep and rich satisfaction in her life. You’re also modeling loyalty and commitment to the younger generations. God bless you.

20. daisy cottage says:

First, I absolutely LOVE your beautiful banner! Gorgeous! Second, wonderful pictures of the two dear mothers and your family.. hang in there Debra – I can only imagine how hard and stressful caring for your mom must be – she is very blessed to have you and I know you are blessed to have her.
    ((hugs))
    Kim

21. Naturegirl says:

You know that this post touched me deeply because my mother too has Dimensia and living in assisted living.
    We are now the mother and they the child.Like you I cherish these blessed days with her.
    I know all about the repeating..certainly do!
    Your mother looks wonderful in her photo and you Catherine..WOW 91 and she looks so young!!
    Peace and blessings to you and your
    lovely family! I understand.
    hugging you NG

22. Becky says:

I love Battleship and used to play it for hours! Your MIL looks great for being 91!! Glad to hear that you had a great Labor Day weekend! Blessings, Becky

23. His Doorkeeper says:

Your new banner is just beautiful. I love fall decorations the best! You are a dear daughter, I can tell. My parents are both gone now but dealing with their decline was harder than ever raising children! But you will get through it! Blessings!

24. The Decorated House says:

Such fun pictures of your cookout.
    Even though you have some tough times with your mom, what a blessing to have both you mom and mil there with you.

I have make a comment about your fall banner! Don’t those bunnies look like they need some chocolate or a few candy corns?! Or is that the look of a full tummy already. They are so cute!
    Donna

25. Donna says:

Your mother is so blessed to have such a loving, caring daughter. I know that must be so draining for you but you’re doing a wonderful job. Bless you.

And I love your new look!

Donna

26. Robin~Thrifty Miss Priss says:

I’m a first time visitor! Love your blog! My mom is also a new resident in an assisted living facility…she has been diagnosed with dementia….it’s a horrible disease to watch the person you love slowly disappear. I’ll be back for a visit soon!